Macau is located in Guangdong province, on the western bank of the Pearl River Delta and connected to Gongbei District by the Border Gate (Portas do Cerco) isthmus. The total population is estimated at around 562,900 . About 94% are ethnic Chinese, from different provinces, namely Guangdong and Fujian. The remaining 6% includes Portuguese, European and other nationalities.
Chinese and Portuguese are the official languages, Cantonese being most widely spoken. The official languages are used in government departments in all official documents and communications. English is generally used in trade, tourism and commerce.
Over history Macau has been an important gateway through which western civilization entered China; for hundreds of years this piece of land has nurtured a symbiosis of cultural exchange, shaping the unique identity of Macau. There are many best-preserved Historical site and new-bulit modern buildings and gardens.

Leave a Reply